Smart Vending in India's Beauty Industry?
In recent years, the use of smart tech in the beauty and personal care industry has been on the rise. But beauty brands have only scratched the surface of how smart vending machines can add significant value to their business. Smart vending machines, equipped with advanced technologies such as augmented reality, smart mirrors, and beauty filters, have the potential to revolutionize the way we purchase and interact with beauty products. From virtual try-ons to personalized product recommendations, smart vending machines are poised to enhance the consumer experience and streamline the buying process.
In this article, we’ll explore the potential of smart vending machines in the beauty and personal care industry of India, and discuss some innovative ways that these machines can be applied to benefit both consumers and businesses alike. Let’s first look at some examples of how it is being done already.
Three examples of how smart vending is being applied in beauty industries across the globe:
OgmentO’s smart beauty vending machine – Their smart vending machines not only feature customer insights and sales analytics, but also enable virtual try-ons of their clients’ cosmetic products. Furthermore, OgmentO facilitates loyalty programs and personalized product recommendations to end-consumers, thereby revolutionizing the beauty & personal care industry in India and APAC.
SOS feminine care vending – This US-based start up caters to women on-the-go enabling access to feminine care products in places where such products were inaccessible before. They currently operate in a few US states, but it is only a matter of time before this technology is applied to the same industries in other markets.
CoverGirl’s “Virtual Try-On” – This smart technology allows customers to try on makeup virtually using augmented reality technology, and also provides personalized product recommendations. The machine also includes a smart mirror that allows customers to see how makeup would look on them under different lighting conditions.
This trend, coupled with the rise of e-commerce and the increasing adoption of technology amongst the Indian population, has created a ripe environment for the deployment of smart vending machines in the Indian market.
Why Consider Smart Vending Machines for Your Beauty Brand?
One major advantage of smart vending machines is the convenience they offer to consumers. These machines are equipped with advanced technologies such as augmented reality, smart mirrors, and beauty filters, allowing consumers to try on products virtually before purchasing. Additionally, smart vending machines can also provide personalized product recommendations based on a consumer’s preferences and previous purchases, making the shopping experience more efficient and enjoyable. This eliminates the need for consumers to physically visit a store, saving time, effort and money.
Smart Retail Beyond India's F&B Industry
Until date, the Indian market has primarily adopted smart vending in the F&B industry. This is just the tip of the iceberg of retail tech’s potential. Looking at best practices worldwide, we see smart vending being applied to almost all B2C categories selling tangible products. The beauty and personal care industry is particularly fit for smart vending. Some lucrative characteristics of these products are:
- Every-day usage;
- Small in size;
- Relatively high selling price and;
- Expanding customer bases
With Indian beauty brands mushrooming pan-India and competing for attention, now is the time to think outside of the box. Let’s look at some reasons why the time is now for Indian beauty brands to adopt smart vending.
- Rising middle-class population: India’s middle class is growing rapidly, and this demographic is increasingly looking for convenient and efficient ways to shop, which retail technology can provide.
- Government initiatives: The Indian government has been actively promoting the adoption of digital technologies, including in the retail sector, through initiatives such as Digital India and the promotion of e-commerce.
- Increasing competition: With the entry of several global e-commerce players in India, traditional retailers are also turning to technology to stay competitive and provide a better customer experience
- Growing e-commerce market: India’s e-commerce market is growing rapidly, and retailers are turning to technology to keep up with the competition and reach more customers.
- Rising consumer demand for personalization: Indian consumers are becoming more demanding, and they expect a personalized shopping experience. Retail technology can help retailers to meet this demand by providing a personalized experience through targeted marketing, product recommendations, and more.
- Cost-effective operations: Retail technology can help retailers to reduce costs by automating and streamlining operations, such as inventory management and customer service. This can help retailers to be more efficient and competitive in the market, while also providing a better customer experience.
Beauty Brands: You Snooze, You Lose
In conclusion, the beauty and personal care industry in India is at an inflection point where technology can play a significant role in shaping the industry. The increasing adoption of technology, the growing preference for e-commerce, average Indian consumer age of 28 and the increasing awareness of personal grooming amongst consumers, make this the right time for beauty brands to deploy smart vending machines in India. These machines can provide consumers with a convenient, personalized and interactive shopping experience, while providing beauty brands with valuable data and insights to inform their business strategy.
While still considered to be in its infancy, smart vending in the beauty industry already has a proven track record across the globe. Now it’s time for India.
We at Filuet know everything there is to know about smart vending and how to leverage this technology for business growth. Are you ready to set your brand apart from the competition?